Connect to foreign language speakers with Cornerstone University Professional & Graduate Studies (PGS) TESOL programs. We offer three different programs:
- A full Master of Arts in TESOL degree program
- A Graduate Certificate
- An ESL Endorsement for teachers focused on Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL).
These programs cover linguistics, the principles of second language acquisition, social and cultural issues, and advanced English grammar. They also offer practical teaching methods for reaching across the language barrier, all grounded in a Christ-centered worldview.
Our professors have a broad experience base for teaching TESOL in a U.S. classroom, teaching English abroad, and incorporating TESOL as part of missionary work. Whatever your goal is, we have a program to support you.
Degree Program Format
Our Master of Arts in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) offers you the theoretical knowledge of language acquisition and practical instructional strategies you need to teach English to foreign-language speakers.
The master’s in TESOL at Cornerstone PGS is available fully online or as a blended degree program. In the blended program, students take courses online and complete a 6-day residency in Grand Rapids in July. Both online and blended options allow you maximum flexibility and control regarding when and where you study. Online courses make this an ideal format for International students.
Students choosing the online format are required to attend an approved TESOL conference or seminar each year of their study, with an expectation of students attending two or three conferences or seminars in total.
Students also have the opportunity to put their skills to the test first-hand, with short foreign study experiences in Europe.
TESOL Certificate and Endorsement Formats
- Graduate Certificate in TESOL – PGS provides teachers, paraprofessionals in schools, volunteers, ministers, and missionaries with the theoretical knowledge and practical teaching skills they need to make connections with foreign-language speakers. (24 credits).
- ESL Endorsement for Teachers – PGS offers school teachers the coursework required to earn Cornerstone’s recommendation for registration for state testing, to earn the ESL Endorsement for their teaching certificates (22 credits).
What You Can Learn – Master’s in TESOL
Designed for experienced educators, the MA in TESOL is a 20-22 month, 33-credit hour master’s program focused on teaching, learning, and curriculum development as it relates to reaching the foreign language speaker.
Graduates of the program should be able to:
- Understand the structure of languages, their development within social contexts, and theories relating to second language acquisition.
- Make connections between current TESOL environments and historical efforts to teach across language barriers.
- Successfully integrate traditional and technologically-enhanced instructional techniques into an overall TESOL educational strategy.
- Develop a research proposal and complete an action research project focused on an issue facing TESOL.
- Issues in TESOL
- TESOL Methodology I
- Introduction to Linguistics
- Advanced English Grammar
- Second Language Acquisition
- TESOL Methodology II
- TESOL Capstone, which includes a 60-hour Practicum