UMass Amherst’s Arts Management Program is designed for working individuals who want to build their nonprofit management skills to advance or pivot their careers. We are a national leader in continuing professional education for aspiring and established arts professionals, with a broad range of courses to support your particular stage of professional development. The multi modal online coursework hones arts-based management techniques, innovative approaches to sector challenges, and socially current best practices for the workplace.
Our expert instructors lead interactive discussions and offer multimedia content that explores the current national and international trends in the arts field. Our online courses provide the unique opportunity to learn alongside seasoned and rising professionals embedded in national and international arts institutions, with space cultivated for robust conversation and shared work.
Though conducted online, our programs are anything but isolating. You are part of the greater community of arts professionals, building relationships with one another in the virtual classroom and accessing alumni and AES partners both during and after your time in the program. Instructors stimulate discussions, provide feedback on assignments, and hold space for creative problem solving.
Course topics include marketing, programming, cultural equity, arts policy and advocacy, fundraising, financial management, strategic planning, program evaluation, and board development. Students can take courses a la carte, or elect to complete one of three Certificate Programs.
The Core and Professional Certificates are designed for emerging artists and arts managers, offering a mix of fundamentals and electives. Four and eight courses, respectively, these two Certificate options allow you to choose the depth and time you are able to devote to your program.
The Leadership Certificate is intended for established artists and managers, with two compulsory courses in Cultural Equity and Cultural Policy & Advocacy, and two electives – all from our selection of advanced courses. This is a competitive program, requiring a letter of interest to be submitted and approved prior to enrollment. Learn more here.
Course work is shaped around case studies that have you working with arts organizations in real-time to craft action plans they can implement. The work is based on the course, i.e. Marketing, Programming, Fundraising, etc. and gives you the opportunity to build your skill set and portfolio simultaneously. While the plan ultimately belongs to the case study organization, the knowledge and results can be leveraged to move you ahead in your current position or used in interviews for the position that you aspire to. There is nothing like real field experience and you will get that in our courses.
Our Arts Management Certificates are 100% online and have NO residency or travel requirement, saving you travel, time, and money, and making it possible for you to take our classes anywhere that you have internet access.
- Courses designed to be relevant, innovative, and easily accessible to working professionals and busy students.
- Nationally-recognized faculty with diverse arts backgrounds, able to speak to the history and future of the sector.
- An affordable, accessible program that may be completed in as little as six months.
- Small class size gives the opportunity to work closely with faculty and peers.
- Creation of actionable plans for the case study organization (either your workplace or a local arts organization) detailing your suggested next steps in marketing, fundraising, programming, and more.
- Access to UMass Amherst’s world-class online library AND the National Arts Policy Archive and Library which hosts 50+ years of documents from the NEA, AES, NASAA, and TAAC.
- A lifelong connection with the Arts Extension Service (AES), a national arts service organization founded in 1973, and our vast partner network.
- Courses can be taken for credit or as noncredit, depending on your needs. Courses taken for credit can be used to earn CEU’s, complete a future degree, etc. Courses taken for noncredit are a lower cost, but do not culminate in a grade; they are pass/fail.
- Use of just one affordable textbook for the majority of classes – the Fundamentals of Arts Management, 6th edition.
- Option to waive the Intro to Arts Management course, based on experience.
- A Certificate of completion to support your next step in professional advancement. (No additional fee required to receive your Certificate upon program completion).