American Institute, believes that you can become whatever you want to be—and they want to help you get there!
They pride themselves on delivering a quality, innovative education. Through that education, they aim to help students foster the skills to enhance their new or ongoing careers. And they do all that with a keen focus on both the individual students, and the community as a whole. Through community service, American Institute helps their local community grow and thrive. And through their local community roots, they aim to help prospective employers meet the real workforce needs of the 21st century.
What Is American Institute?
American Institute has a long history of dedication to their students. In fact, the school was founded in 1924 as the Hartford Secretarial School. Today they serve thousands of students, with campuses in 5 cities across the eastern United States (in Florida, New Jersey, and Connecticut). They offer programs in a variety of in-demand career tracks. These range from their original business focus to healthcare, cosmetology, and more.
Online Learning Options
American Institute continues to evolve to meet the needs of their students. Today, they offer hybrid programs. "Hybrid" means they offer online learning in conjunction with a local campus. That could allow students the increased flexibility to accommodate busy schedules. And because these online learning options anchor on a physical campus, you'd still have access to the valuable physical resources that support your program. These resources could include technology, clinical lab spaces, and more! The specifics may depend on your program and where you’re studying, so if you have questions, reach out to them and ask.
What American Institute Is All About
Just like America is “the land of opportunity,” American Institute wants to be a place where each student can seize those opportunities and thrive. But thriving is about more than your career. American Institute prides itself on being student-focused. That's why they offer a combination of classroom and online learning, hands-on experiences, personal development, and professional facilities. They aim to provide relevant, useful career skills you can use, while supporting your growth as an individual—whatever path you choose.
That goal is at the root of their core values.
- Caring: This school believes in providing a caring environment to all members of their school family. By providing that supportive environment, they hope to support every student's path to success.
- Respect: They know everyone deserves to be treated with respect. That applies no matter what their background. American aims not only to treat each student with respect, but instill that value in each student throughout their lives.
- Service: They view service as essential on both a personal and a community level. That’s why they seek out opportunities to serve the students and the surrounding community whenever they can.
- Integrity: They believe in treating each student with integrity. So no matter what your background or what you’ve overcome to get here, they’ll support you in achieving your dreams.
- Accountability: They’re committed to your education. They hold themselves accountable for living up to that commitment.
- Innovation: This is important both in and out of the classroom. American Institute aims to offer students innovative academic opportunities. What's more, they want to help students hone their own innovative skills to use throughout their careers.
Programs at American Institute
American Institute offers a variety of in-demand programs. Each of this is geared toward entry-level employment in a specific field or work area. Many of these programs may incorporate some element of online education. The availability and nature of that online element may vary by program and selected campus location. Some programs may also have unique resources offered at campus locations. This could include simulated clinics for healthcare, technology used in the field, and more. This also may vary by location and program.
Potential areas of study include the following.
- Administrative Office Professional
- Certified Nurse’s Assistant
- Phlebotomy Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Coding and Billing
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Dental Assisting
- Massage Therapy
- Skin Care
- Computers, Networking and Security
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
American Institute Campus Locations
American Institute’s online options are technically hybrid programs. Since that means part campus attendance, it might be important to know which location is most convenient for you. American Institute has 5 locations spanning the East Coast of the United States, in 3 states.
- American Institute West Hartford CT
- American Institute Clifton NJ
- American Institute Toms River NJ
- American Institute Somerset NJ
- American Institute Margate FL
The specific programs, resources, and online learning options available at each campus may vary. Read more online, or schedule a visit to the campus you’re interested in to find out a little more about what that particular location can offer you.
The Application Process
American Institute has an open admissions policy. They want to make the application process as smooth as possible for any prospective students. As such, admissions staff are standing by to assist you throughout this process, even before you decide to submit your application. Admissions representatives aim to provide you with all the answers you might need to make your decision. That way, when you decide for sure to apply here, you can do so with confidence that it’s a good fit. And if they don’t have the answers you need, they’ll find someone who does.
The application process generally looks something like this.
- Contact the school and schedule an on-campus interview.
- Meet with your Admissions Representative and ask lots of questions.
- Tour the campus, and possibly meet the faculty you might learn from.
- Submit your application and fee.
- Meet with your Financial Aid Advisor to assist with understanding and submitting forms.
- Receive your application results in a few weeks!
American Institute is aware that each student’s financial situation is unique. That’s why they do their best to help each student figure out what’s best for them. Financial Aid Advisors are there to assist prospective students in identifying what they need, and how to make their education a possibility.
Financial aid at this school is typically need-based. You could obtain some general information about this through the Financial Aid office before you apply. However, this is generally accomplished after the application is submitted. Applicants meet with a Financial Aid Advisor. Together, they review their options, and complete the necessary financial aid paperwork.
American Institute Facts & Figuresi
You might already know what you want to study. But while that’s a big part of choosing your school, it’s not the whole picture! Here are some fast facts about American Institute that could help paint that picture and inform your decision. These figures are based on the Clifton, New Jersey, campus in Fall 2015, so they might vary at other campuses or in different semesters.
- 100% of students in 2015 were enrolled full-time.
- 34% of those students take part in online or distance education in some capacity.
- 80% of students are identified as female, while 20% are reported as male.
- It’s a diverse student body! 67% of students are Hispanic/Latinx, while 17% are black, and 10% are white.
- The retention rate is 60%.
- The graduation rate is 57%.
- 49% graduated on time, while 57% did so in at least 150% of typical completion time.
American Institute Accreditation Status
The American Institute location in Margate, Florida, is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
The American Institute locations in Clifton, NJ, Somerset, NJ, Toms River, NJ, and West Hartford, CT, are institutionally accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES). The Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) is a recognized accrediting agency by the U.S. Department of Education.
What Makes American Institute Unique?
American Institute values the student’s whole person. That’s one element that could make the school unique. Here are a few more examples of what makes American Institute unique—and maybe even a good option for you!
- They’re Community-Focused: The school tries their best to give back to the local community. As a student, you could take advantage of opportunities to get involved! This could range from food drives to volunteer projects, and more. You could practice your career skills in the real world, while giving back, and learning about yourself.
- They’re Flexible: Your school knows you might have a busy schedule. Luckily, with flexible scheduling and online learning options, you might find that balance you’re looking for.
- They Provide Valuable Hands-On Experience: Career-focused learning doesn’t only happen out of a textbook. American Institute incorporates laboratory experiences to get hands-on classroom practice. On top of that, you might find potential internship opportunities in the field.
- The Caring Family Environment: This school believes that a supportive environment is a key factor in student success. That’s why they try to foster this atmosphere. At American Institute, you won’t just be a student. You’ll be part of the school family.
Learn More & Apply
Interested in learning more about American Institute? Think it might be the school for you? Read more on our website, or contact us for more information. You could even schedule a meeting with your admissions representative and tour the school! Submit the contact form to get started.