American Intercontinental University, or AIU, offers career-oriented associates, bachelors, and masters degree programs. They are dedicated to providing for the educational needs of motivated students of all backgrounds. That’s why they’ve designed their programs to be both flexible and supportive, not to mention a good value. Overall, they aim to foster success and fit into real life. Originally founded in Lucerne, Switzerland, today AIU is based in the United States in two campus locations as well as with American Intercontinental University Online.
Who Are AIU?
American Intercontinental University was founded in Lucerne, Switzerland in 1970, then known as the American Fashion College of Switzerland. And while they no longer maintain a campus in Europe, they still serve students from around the world.
AIU knows that their students are looking toward the future. That’s why they’ve designed their programs to support real-life careers. That includes potentially offering credit for real-life experience, as well as honing relevant skills in the classroom. And you could do it all under the guidance of faculty who have been there before.
Best of all, AI University’s bachelors programs have been recognized for their quality. In fact, in 2017, US News & World Report listed them twice: once for being among the best online programs, and once as among the best online programs for veterans. A number of other organizations have also recognized the work American Intercontinental University has been doing for their students. More information can be found on their website.
The American Intercontinental University Mission
Ever since its establishment in 1970, AIU has been dedicated to its mission to encourage global understanding, promote an environment of cultural diversity, and provide opportunities for international education.
AIU works toward a series of specific goals in support of this mission. Those include:
- Helping students from diverse cultures and backgrounds to achieve their career and personal goals
- Offering academic programs, services, technology and facilities to support student growth, both intellectual and personal
- Fostering critical thinking and learning in each student
- Upholding professionalism, responsibility, and ethics
- Retaining a diverse faculty of experienced, qualified educators
American Intercontinental University Online
American Intercontinental University Online is designed to reach students wherever they are, as long as they have access to the internet on a compatible device. AIU Online is flexible in more ways than one. In addition to the freedom of scheduling it could potentially offer its students, American Intercontinental University Online also enables students to choose how they want to learn their material. Whether you’re a reader, an audiophile, or prefer video, there may be something for you. American Intercontinental University Online students also have access to discussion boards to chat with peers and professors in real time, and technical support whenever they need it. There’s even a mobile app for accessing classroom materials on the go! Students could earn online associates, bachelors, and even online masters degrees.
American Intercontinental University Campus Locations
Prefer studying in the physical classroom? AIU currently maintains two campus locations you could choose to attend if convenient.
- American Intercontinental University Atlanta: The AIU Atlanta campus is designed to support local students as they work toward academic success. Resources available include fashion labs, library and bookstore, campus-wide wifi, a veteran’s center, as well as student lounges and work areas.
- American Intercontinental University Houston: AIU Houston offers many similar resources to the Atlanta campus, including a library, bookstore, wifi, student lounges, and a learning resource center. In addition, the Houston campus also has a forensics lab to support the Criminal Justice program through hands-on experience.
Areas of Study at AIU
American Intercontinental University offers students a suite of study options, each one tailored to support real-life career paths. The majority of these programs are available online or through either of AIU’s two campus locations. Overall, AIU offers six different areas of study, each one encompassing several unique degree and subject options.
- Business: With AI University, business students could earn associates, bachelors, and masters degrees in business administration, accounting, entrepreneurship, finance, management, and marketing. Additionally, the Atlanta campus offers a bachelors in fashion marketing!
- Criminal Justice: These programs are available through both campuses and online. Students could pursue an associate of science in criminal justice, or a bachelors in general criminal justice, corrections and case management, forensic science, homeland security and crisis management, or law enforcement.
- Media Production: Available exclusively through the Atlanta campus, bachelors students could earn a BFA in audio recording or digital film and post-production.
- Education: AIU Online offers a range of Masters of Education programs. Teachers could earn an MEd in areas like adult education, curriculum and instruction, educational leadership, elementary education, instructional design and technology, and secondary education.
- Healthcare Management: In addition to an MBA in Healthcare Management technically offered through the business program, students could study gerontology management and health services administration management at the bachelors level. Students could also earn a Master of Healthcare Management or MHCM.
- Information Technology: Bachelors students of IT could study through the Houston campus or online, in areas like digital investigations, information assurance and security, network administration, or software analysis and development. Additionally, online masters programs include information assurance and security, and IT project management.
8 Steps to the American Intercontinental University Admissions Process
AIU strives to make attaining an education as straightforward as possible for their students. That includes the application and admissions process. Depending on what type of program you’re attending—online, Houston, or Atlanta—and your degree level and educational background, the process could vary. However, here’s a basic run-down of what you can look forward to.
- Meet with your AIU Admissions Advisor.
Your admissions advisor will be there to help you through the application and admissions process. You’ll talk about things like your goals and interests, choosing a degree program, what the admissions process looks like, and what to expect in your classes once you start. They’ll also be there to answer any questions you might have about the school or the application process.
- Complete the online application.
AIU’s online application is designed for ease of use. There’s no application fee associated with it, and AIU says it should take about ten to fifteen minutes to complete. If you need help, your admissions advisor can even help guide you through it. You can even save your progress and come back later if you’re unable to finish it all at once.
- Submit your official transcripts.
This is the step that may diverge, depending on the program you’re applying to and your educational background. If you’re applying as an undergrad, you’ll need to send your official high school transcripts or GED transcript to admissions. If you’re applying to a masters program or have already attended some college, you’ll also need to submit those transcripts. If you’re applying as an undergrad and were homeschooled, you might need additional documentation, so follow up with your advisor if you have any questions.
- Apply for Financial Aid.
AIU may have a variety of options for financial aid that you might qualify for. In addition to federal aid, some students might be eligible for other grants and scholarships. See the following section for more details.
- Take advantage of prior learning credits.
AIU knows that life experience can be just as educational as the classroom. That’s why they offer the potential for prior learning credit. In addition to transferring credits from other college programs, American Intercontinental University allows students to submit professional experience for consideration for possible credit, as well as military and law enforcement training. Students may also take CLEP exams, DSST exams, and submit AP test results.
- Explore your Virtual Campus (or tour your physical one!)
Now that you’re enrolled and ready to get started, it’s time to get acclimated to your learning environment. If you’re studying on campus, now is the time to explore your campus resources and get the lay of the land. If you’re studying online, take the time to explore your Virtual Campus, make sure you know how to access everything, and take care of any technical questions you might have.
- Attend your online or campus orientation.
Before you start class, you’ll have the opportunity to participate in a new student orientation. This will help you learn how to use your virtual classroom, how to submit assignments, learn about the resources at your disposal and how to access them, and ask any lingering questions.
- Start learning!
That’s it! Now it’s time to meet your instructors and peers, and start your semester. Try to establish good study habits from the get-go to set yourself up for success.
In addition to federal grants and loans you could use to help cover your tuition—which are administered through your FAFSA—AIU may offer a number of scholarships and grants at the institutional level. Your advisor could help answer any questions about how these work and how to apply for them.
Each scholarship or grant may have unique prerequisites to apply, and application does not guarantee that you’ll be selected. Potential grants and scholarships include:
- AIU Advantage Grant
- AIU Academic Educational Alliances Grant
- AIU Lifelong Learning Grant
- AIU Tribal Educational Alliances Grant
- Career Education Scholarship Fund (CESF)
- AIU Corporate Educational Alliances Grant
- AIU Success Grant
- Alumni Referral Scholarship
Additionally, AIU has a few options specifically reserved for military service members and their families. As with the previous category, prerequisites for selection may vary.
- AIU Veterans Grant
- AIU Military Spouse Grant
- Yellow Ribbon Grant
- EANGUS Scholarship
AIU Accreditation & Licensure
American Intercontinental University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Additionally, AIU holds several programmatic accreditations. The business programs hold accreditation through the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). Additionally, the Master of Education program holds initial accreditation through 2018 through the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). For more information about what this entails, visit the website or reach out to your advisor.
AIU is also approved at the state level by the State of Georgia by the Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission. They’re authorized by the Illinois Board of Higher Education to grant associates, bachelors, and masters degrees. They’re similarly approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, as well as the state of Wisconsin, to offer degrees and degree programs
Learn More About American Intercontinental University Online & Campus Programs
Curious whether American Intercontinental University might be a good fit for you? Then get in touch! Use the form on this page to request more information about the school and your program of choice. Then schedule a meeting or a visit, or talk with your admissions advisor to start your application.