Radboud University is an internationally-ranked university in Nijmegen, the oldest city in the Netherlands. They offer a variety of opportunities for undergraduate and graduate study, both online and on-campus, in both English and Dutch.
With that in mind, it’s no wonder Radboud University Nijmegen (or RU) attracts dedicated students from all over the world. The school offers 112 potential programs, seventy five of which are master’s programs. Thirty five of those masters programs are research programs taught in English. At RU, you might find rigorous academics, research opportunities, award-winning faculty, and more.
About Radboud University Nijmegen
Radboud University was established in 1923. Back then, it was called “Catholic University Nijmegen.” Their mission was to emancipate socially, economically, and politically underrepresented Dutch Roman Catholics through education. Today, that commitment to emancipation continues. For example, more than 23% of full professors at Radboud Unversity are women. That figure places the university well above the national average in the Netherlands. And they have a strategic plan in place to make even more strides.
Radboud’s mission is to use academics to help improve society. They do this by creating a challenging and positive intellectual environment to help students grow. They also pursue cutting edge research and thought leadership in multiple disciplines. But making a difference doesn't happen in a vacuum. That’s why they place such an emphasis on internationalization. They try to ensure international faculty and students will feel at home at Radboud. To this end, they even have a Foundation for Refugee Students UAF financial aid program. The university also develops international partnerships to facilitate research collaboration, and share ideas and expertise.
Radboud University Online
Radboud University offers a variety of online learning and support services. For example, some courses at RU may use Blackboard to enhance online learning and communication. RU also provides students with a university email address and free internet access on campus. Students could use these services to get instant access to examination results when they become available. They might also check and modify timetables, and more.
RU may even provide students and employees with access to useful software. The university library also has an online presence. This enables students to log in, conduct research, reserve books and materials, and more!
Radboud also provides Information and Communication Technologies services to Radboud University Medical Center, and a variety of nonprofits throughout the Netherlands.
Radboud University Programs of Study
Radboud University offers a variety of programs in English. These might be at the bachelors, masters, and even potentially the doctoral level. Other programs may be offered in Dutch. At the master’s level, all English-language programs are research-based. These aim to provide students with the experience to get involved in research at the doctoral level or throughout their careers.
Here are some examples of the disciplines in which you might pursue a bachelors degree in English at Radboud. Each of these subjects may incorporate one or several specific degrees. Language requirements in each program may vary. Follow up with RU for details if you’re interested in one in particular and have a language preference.
- Artificial Intelligence
- Arts and Culture Studies
- Business Administration
- International Business Communication
- Molecular Life Sciences
At the master’s level, English-taught subjects may include the following.
- Behavioral and Life Sciences
- Business and Economics
- Geography, Planning and Environment
- Information and Communication Technologies (ICT)
- Language and Communication
- Medical Sciences
- Public Administration and Political Science
- Religion and Philosophy
Earning your PhD at Radboud University works a little differently. PhD candidates pursue a specific research field within their area of expertise. They do this within a research institute at the university. Each candidate is assigned an academic supervisor. That supervisor is responsible for overseeing human resources details. They also monitor the quality of the research.
Generally, there might be two avenues to pursue a PhD at RU.
- Internal PhD Candidates: These candidates are employed by the university. As such, prospective candidates may apply through official vacancies. In this case, research might be funded through the institution.
- External PhD Candidates: this case, candidates would be funded from another source. This could be through an employer, fellowship, or grant. They would conduct their research through Radboud University. External candidates don’t have an employment contract with Radboud, but still have a supervising professor.
Applying to the Radboud University of Nijmegen
The application process at may vary depending on a few key factors:
- Whether you’re a foreign student or have Dutch citizenship
- Whether you’re a European citizen
- Whether you have a Dutch secondary education, or how your international education compares to the Dutch system
- What program you’re applying to, and in what language it is conducted
Generally, at the bachelor’s level, you’ll need to demonstrate that your education is equivalent to the Dutch VWO diploma. The VWO, in the Dutch education system, spans ages twelve to eighteen and prepares students to attend university. Diplomas are generally assessed for compatibility on an individual basis. In some cases, additional requirements like language or mathematics proficiency tests may be issued.
Beyond this, the specific requirements (such as proof of language proficiency, specific education background or experience) may vary by individual program. At the graduate level, application requirements also vary by program.
Avenues for financial aid at Radboud may vary depending on where you come from, your financial situation, and other factors. If you’re a European student, and you work at least 56 hours every month, you may be eligible for financial aid through the Dutch government.
But what if you’re not from Europe? You may still be eligible to apply for student finance. This may involve obtaining a visa that allows you to work at least ten hours every week, among other potential requirements. For more information about this, follow up with Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (or DUO for short). This is a governmental organization within the Ministry of Education, Cultural Affairs, and Science. You could also reach out to Radboud for guidance.
Radboud University also has a merit-based scholarship program which foreign students may apply to. These scholarships may be discipline-specific. As such, the prerequisites for consideration may vary. For more information on eligibility, the nature of the scholarship, and what opportunities may be available, get in touch with RU.
Radboud University Accreditation
Radboud University’s bachelor’s and master’s programs are accredited by the Nederlands-Vlaamse Accreditatie Organisatie (NVAO). This organization has been recognized by the Dutch government as an accrediting organization. Accreditation is issued at the program level. For more information on the nature of accreditation in the program you’re interested in applying to, reach out to that program.
Radboud By The Numbers
Want to know a little more about what Radboud University is like? Here are some facts and figures to help draw a more detailed portrait of the school and help you make your decision.
- In October 2016, 19,899 total students were enrolled at Radboud University.
- Of those students, 2,123 were international, and 4,574 were in their first year.
- In 2015, 2,720 bachelor’s degrees were issued. 2,852 master’s degrees were granted, and 126 post-graduate.
What We Like About Radboud
Undergraduate and grad students alike might have any number of reasons for choosing Radboud University to earn their degrees. From the atmosphere, to the rigorous academics, to the caliber of the faculty, RU might have a lot to offer. Here are just a few examples of what perks you could find there.
- Online programs: Some students may prefer to take advantage of online learning as a way to fit attaining their educational goals into thei current lifestyle and a full personal calendar. And Radboud delivers there, too!
- An internationally recognized diploma: Radboud University commands respect. It has been highly ranked by Elsevier and Keuzegids for multiple years. Not only that, but a recent Nobel Prize winner studied here!
- Quality of service: RU emphasizes quality. They dedicate time and effort to maintaining and improving their academic programs, and also provide a variety of services for incoming students, both local and international.
- Personal support: Studying at Radboud University, you might have the opportunity to get involved with research, working closely with students and faculty. And outside of research, your professors are there for you to discuss your classes and support your learning.
- Lots of options: With over a hundred potential programs, students at RU don’t suffer from a lack of choice. Radboud University is committed to providing a quality education, in whatever field you choose. You may even be able to personalize a program, if necessary!
- The greenest campus in the Netherlands: Radboud University is committed to helping its students, faculty, and the world. Their campus in Nijmegen is known as one of the greenest options in the Netherlands. And since students could choose to live on campus, you may even have avenues to reduce your own carbon footprint by reducing your transportation needs.
- A great location: Don’t forget one big perk to studying at here—you’d get to study in the beautiful city of Nijmegen! Nijmegen is the oldest city in the Netherlands. Its history goes back two thousand years to the Roman Empire, and signs of that history can be found throughout. It’s also a center of the arts and culture, and a convenient train ride or flight away from a variety of other European cities, further facilitating your international travel options.
Apply to Radboud University Netherlands
For more information on Radboud University ranking, Radboud University Scholarship Programme optons, available programs, and more, read more on the website or get in touch using the contact form here!