You’ll expand the level care and assistance you can provide to vulnerable populations and be a force of positive change in your community when you earn your Master of Social Work (MSW) degree online at Sacred Heart University. The program offers you a choice of a clinical or community practice specialization, but knowledge from each is included in both tracks to integrate micro and macro practice and better prepare you for the demands of practice. Your advanced, comprehensive knowledge allows you to step into leadership roles and effect change at multiple levels of diverse populations.
While grounded in the liberal arts, the MSW curriculum at SHU aligns itself to the tenants of social-work and the Catholic Intellectual Tradition of academic excellence. The principles of service to others, respect for human dignity, dedication to scientific inquiry and social and economic justice are reinforced in coursework throughout the program.
Master of Social Work Curriculum
Immediately after graduation, you’ll qualify to sit for the Licensed Master of Social Work exam and can start earning hours towards state licensure for clinical social work (LCSW).
Graduate in a Year?
Advanced Standing students who enter the program can graduate in as little as a year. To qualify as an Advanced Standing student, you’ll need a Bachelor’s in Social Work earned within the last 6 years from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. The Advanced Standing option will be offered in the Fall of 2018.
Why We Love Sacred Heart University
- Top University in the North, U.S. News & World Report, 2015
- Institutions with the Best Online Programs, U.S. News & World Report, 2015
- The Best 380 Colleges in 2015, The Princeton Review
- Included in the 2016 – 2017 Colleges of Distinction guide, among approximately 200 colleges and universities in the country recognized for outstanding student engagement, great teaching, vibrant communities, and successful student outcomes.
- Best Online Colleges in Connecticut for 2015-2016, Affordable Colleges Online
- Top 10 Best Colleges for Veterans (North region), U.S. News & World Report, 2014
Currently not accepting applications from Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Montana, New Mexico, North Carolina, and Wisconsin. In addition to these exclusions, the DNP and FNP programs are currently not accepting inquiries from Georgia, Kentucky, and Washington. Additionally, FNP programs are not accepting inquiries from California.