Consider earning a degree from Stetson University online or on campus. Stetson University is a four-year private, not-for-profit institution located in DeLand, Florida. DeLand is a medium-sized suburb between Orlando and Daytona Beach, Florida. Stetson University has three additional campus locations in Celebration, Tampa, and Gulfport, Florida.
Stetson University online offers bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees, doctorate degrees, and certificates. It has both on-campus and online options.
Key components of student life at Stetson University include:
- NCAA Division I sports (8 teams for men and 10 teams for women)
- 112 student organizations and clubs
- 19 club sports
Stetson University’s Mission and Core Values
Stetson University’s mission is focuses on learning in a creative community where students learn academically as well as emotionally in order to fully contribute to society.i
Some of the university’s core values include:i
- Grounding their programs in a tradition of liberal learning that stimulates critical thinking, imaginative inquiry, creative expression, and lively intellectual debate
- Teaching through small, interactive classes; close student-faculty alliances; and collaborative approaches that provide a strong foundation for future endeavors
- Embracing diverse methodologies to foster effective communication, information and technological literacy, and aesthetic appreciation
- Encouraging the development of informed convictions, independent judgement, and lifelong commitments to learning
- Encouraging students to demonstrate personal integrity; to develop an appreciate for the spiritual dimension of life; to embrace leadership in an increasingly complex, interdependent, and technological world; and to commit to active forms of social responsibility
Ultimately, Stetson University is dedicated to developing people committed to engaging and building life-long connects with the larger world through personal growth, intellectual development, and global citizenship.i
Stetson University Majors and Programs
Stetson University offers its majors and programs through the following schools:
- The College of Law (also commonly referred to as the Stetson University Law School)
- The School of Business Administration (also commonly referred to as the Stetson University Business School)
- The College of Arts and Sciences
- The School of Music (also commonly referred to as the Stetson University School of Music)
During the 2015-2016 school year, Stetson University conferred 606 bachelor’s degrees, 177 master’s degrees, and 287 doctorate degrees.ii
For students earning a bachelor’s degree, the following majors were the most popular:
- General psychology
- Political science and government
- Health services / Allied Health
- Business administration and management
- Subjects across the visual and performing arts
The most popular Stetson University master’s programs that year were:
- Business administration and management
- Educational leadership and administration
- Advanced legal research
All of the students earning doctorate degrees that school year did so in one subject: Law.
Stetson University Online
Three Stetson University graduate programs are offered online: an M.Acc. in Accounting, an L.L.M. in Advocacy, and an L.L.M. in Elder Law.
During the fall 2016 semester and year, seven percent of graduate students enrolled entirely in online education with online courses from Stetson University. An additional seven percent enrolled in at least some online education. 86 percent of graduate students that semester and year attended classes entirely on campus.
Stetson University Tuition
During the 2016-2017 school year, full-time undergraduate students paid an estimated $43,240 in tuition and fees to Stetson University. They paid an additional estimated $1,200 for books and supplies. The estimated cost of a four-year degree from Stetson University is $191,449. This cost is just an estimate and does not include the cost of books and supplies. It does account for an estimated rate of inflation and assumes that the students starts in the 2017-2018 school year.ii
Graduate students paid $16,768 in tuition during the 2016-2017 school year.
The cost of tuition is the same for both in-state and out-of-state students.
Stetson University Financial Aid
In the 2016-2017 school year, 99 percent of undergraduate students at Stetson University, or 3,050 students, received grant or scholarship aid. Of those students, 34 percent, or 1,041 students, received federal Pell grants. On average, each student received $28,599 total in grant or scholarship aid that year.
That same school year, 57 percent of undergraduate students, or 1,767 students, received federal student loans. On average, each of those students received $7,311 in federal student loan aid that year.
Stetson University National Ranking
U.S. News ranks Stetson University #6 in Regional Universities South. The school is ranked by the same source as #4 in Best Colleges for Veterans and #15 in Best Value Schools.iii
Stetson University’s graduate programs received the following rankings from U.S. News:iv
- Number 96 (tie) in Best Law Schools
- Number 4 in Legal Writing
- Number 24 (tie) in Part-time Law
- Number 1 in Trial Advocacy
U.S. News ranks Stetson University’s online programs as #40 (tie) in Best Online Graduate Business Programs (excluding MBA) and #100 (tie) in Best Online MBA Programs.v
Stetson University Enrollment
The Stetson University student population was 4,357 as of Fall 2016. Of those students, 3,089 were undergraduate students, and 1,268 were graduate students.ii
The large majority of undergraduate students, 99 percent, attended classes on a full-time basis. Just one percent of undergraduate students attended classes part-time. Ninety-seven percent of undergraduate students were age 24 or younger. The remaining three percent were nontraditional learners over 25.
Sixty-six percent of all undergraduate students had in-state status, 27 percent had out-of-state status, and about six percent came from foreign countries.
Of the graduate students at Stetson University, 86 percent attended classes on a full-time basis. The remaining 14 percent attended classes part-time.
Stetson University Admissions
For the Fall 2016 semester, 12,130 prospective undergraduate students applied to Stetson University. Of those applicants, Stetson University admitted 66 percent. Ten percent of the applicants accepted to Stetson University actually registered for classes.ii
Undergraduate admissions considerations at Stetson University include:
- High school GPA and record
- Letters of recommendation
- For students for whom English is not a first language, test scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
The school recommends that undergraduate applicants submit their high school rank, evidence that they’ve completed a college preparatory program, and test scores for the ACT and SAT.
The Stetson University application fee that semester was $50.
The Stetson University acceptance rate was 66 percent, which U.S. News ranks as “more selective.”vi
Prospective students applying to graduate programs must follow admissions procedures for their particular program.
Stetson University Faculty
As of Fall 2016, Stetson University employed 268 full-time faculty and 145 part-time faculty. It did not utilize graduate assistants for teaching or research.ii
The student to faculty ratio at Stetson University was 13 to 1 that same semester and year. Nearly 60 percent of the school’s classes had fewer than 20 students. Just over 40 percent had 20 to 49 students. None of its classes had more than 50 students as of the 2016-2017 school year.vii
Stetson University Accreditation
Stetson University has institutional accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges. It has held accreditation from that agency since 1932.ii
Stetson University also has programmatic or specialized accreditation for its music program from the National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation. It has held that accreditation since 1936.
Explore What Stetson University Online Has to Offer
Now that you know more about Stetson University, take some time to explore its programs and see what fits your needs. Begin your search now!
i stetson.edu/other/about/ | ii https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?id=137546| iii usnews.com/best-colleges/stetson-university-1531/overall-rankings | iv usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/stetson-university-137546/overall-rankings | v usnews.com/education/online-education/stetson-university-137546 | vi usnews.com/best-colleges/stetson-university-1531/applying | vii usnews.com/best-colleges/stetson-university-1531/academics