Online Degree Programs at University of New England
Receive a Degree From a Recognized Leader in Education
The University of New England is an independent university with two distinctive campuses on the coast of southern Maine. The University's mission is to educate men and women to advance the quality of human life and the environment.
The University of New England is a regionally accredited, entrepreneurial institution committed to academic excellence and the enhancement of the quality of life for the people, organizations, and communities it serves. The purpose of the University is to prepare students for meaningful and rewarding careers, lifelong learning, and enlightened lives.
UNE has once again been ranked as one of the "Best Universities" in the North that offer "a full range of undergraduate and master's programs" in the 2009 edition of "America's Best Colleges" from U.S. News & World Report.
Distance Education at the University of New England
Distance education has become an increasingly important part of the University of New England's education mix, to better serve both the University's traditional and non-traditional students. Distance learning offers:
- An alternative to the traditional classroom.
- A different way to reach your goal.
The University is committed to our distance-learning students. The students who choose to learn through the University's extended campus are an integral part of the University community. Technological links enable students to interact with their faculty, advisors, support service administrators, as well as their student colleagues.
FAQS About UNE
What is the application process for University of New England online programs?
Students can apply online to University of New England online programs. Each program has distinct requirements. However, most programs require students to have:
- A high school diploma or GED
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Transcripts that demonstrate students having passed certain classes with a C- or higher
Students may need to provide unofficial and official transcripts, a resume, a personal statement, and other supplemental documents. They may also have to submit a non-refundable $40 application fee. For some programs, students might need to submit SAT, ACT, GRE, or other exam results. The University of New England typically has an annual application deadline, but this too might vary by program.
To determine what you need to do to apply, find the program of your choice and determine its specific requirements.
What is the University of New England acceptance rate?
U.S. News’ 2017 report ranked the University of New England as “selective.” The school has an 85% acceptance rate and an 84% early acceptance rate.
What is the University of New England’s ranking?
U.S. News’ 2017 rankings listed UNE as number 80 in Regional Universities North and number 44 in Best Colleges for Veterans. It was ranked number 66 in Best Online Graduate Education Programs.
- The Princeton Review listed the University of New England among 381 Best Colleges. • Money magazine listed it among the Best Colleges of 2016-2017. • Forbes listed it among America’s 2016 Top Colleges. • And 50 Most Affordable Master’s Degree Programs listed it as having the Best Masters Programs.
What is the University of New England accreditation status?
The University of New England is regionally accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (NEASC CIHE). Some programs have additional programmatic accreditation. The University of New England physical therapy program, for example, is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education. Other programs may be accredited by other agencies specific to the field of study.
Accreditation is important for 5 reasons.
- First, its peer-review process helps ensure that schools and programs provide quality programming. 2. Second, some employers prefer to hire professionals with degrees from accredited schools. 3. And, in situations when an employer is paying for its employees’ education, they might not be willing to do so unless the employee is attending an accredited school. 4. Fourth, students might only be able to transfer credits and degrees into more advanced degree programs if the credits come from accredited schools. 5. Finally, many licensing and credentialing agencies will only license and credential professionals with degrees from accredited schools.
- Second, some employers prefer to hire professionals with degrees from accredited schools.
- And, in situations when an employer is paying for its employees’ education, they might not be willing to do so unless the employee is attending an accredited school.
- Fourth, students might only be able to transfer credits and degrees into more advanced degree programs if the credits come from accredited schools.
- Finally, many licensing and credentialing agencies will only license and credential professionals with degrees from accredited schools.
What are some of the features of University of New England online programs?
The University of New England offers many of its online programs 100 percent online. This means that whether you’re pursuing a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, doctorate degree, or certificate, you may be able to do so without setting foot on campus. For working professionals, distance learners, and people otherwise dependent on flexible programming, University of New England online programs may be a smart choice.
Online students can access academic, technical, and administrative support from their computers. Specialists in registration, financial aid, enrollment, course materials, technology, and more are accessible online from the first contact to the last. Some specific examples of online resources include:
- Disability services
- Library resources
- The Writing Support Center
- The UNE bookstore
- The Registrar
Online courses take a learner-centered approach and are designed to accommodate a range of learning styles and the busy schedules of working professionals. Students have 24/7 access to coursework and will likely learn using a variety of digital tools such as chat, video, and conferencing. The primary interface for online education at the University of New England is Blackboard.