Virginia Tech Online
Your Future. Our Promise.
About Virginia Tech
Founded as a public land-grant university in 1872, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech) remains true to its mission of discovery and dissemination of new knowledge. Standing on the cornerstones of quality, service, and innovation, Virginia Tech sought new ways to expand access to education, and in 1999, began offering courses and degree programs at a distance. Over the last 10 years, Virginia Tech has built a solid graduate portfolio, including online and blended master's degree programs, as well as a suite of graduate certificates.
By enrolling at Virginia Tech, you are placing your trust and confidence in receiving a world-class education that will forever shape your future. Our promise is to deliver you an unparalleled academic experience, by offering more than 40 programs of study through Virginia Tech Online. These include 17 graduate degrees, 21 graduate or post-baccalaureate certificates, plus two professional studies course series (K-12 teacher focus). A dynamic learning experience awaits you, as you will engage with students all over the globe seeking similar educational goals.
Virginia Tech marked more than 18,000 eLearning enrollments over the last academic year. And since 1999, the university has achieved more than 150,000 eLearning enrollments, including credit and non-credit. Virginia Tech's eLearning faculty members serve as a vital lifeline to the success of the university's eLearning enterprise. More than 700 Virginia Tech faculty members, representing over 96 percent of the university's academic departments, have developed or delivered distance eLearning courses since summer 1998.
About the Online Programs
- VTOnline offers 500 distance learning graduate offerings annually.
- Graduate-level options include certificates and master's degrees, with online and interactive videoconferencing (IVC) delivery.
- Year-round learning opportunities, with online, blended, and IVC courses offered Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.
- Virginia Tech's graduate eLearning repertoire includes over 30 graduate masters and certificate programs in the fields of informational and instructional technology, agricultural and life sciences, natural resources, political sciences, career and technical education, and a host of engineering specialties, including aerospace, ocean, civil, electrical, biomedical, and computer.
- Online programs provide a "study anywhere, anytime" philosophy allowing students to access the courses from their learning environment of choice.
- Schedule flexibility is core component to the online graduate programs, allowing the opportunity to strike a balance with personal and professional pursuits.
What Can I Expect from VTOnline's Graduate Program?
- A high quality, academic experience — Virginia Tech is one of the nation's leaders among public higher education institutions in delivering online education.
- The same, well-recognized faculty members known for their quality of instruction inside the classroom are the same professors delivering their complementary distance learning courses, ensuring academic integrity is preserved.
- Virginia Tech's eLearning instructors are among the best and the brightest, with 30 faculty members holding membership in the Academy of Teaching Excellence.
- Your degree and transcripts will be identical to those earned by on-campus students.