Carol Aslanian, Expert in the Growth of Higher Education Solutions
Meet Carol Aslanian
Carol Aslanian is President & Founder of Aslanian Market Research (AMR), which focuses exclusively on the demands and preferences of post-traditional, adult and online students. A national authority on the characteristics and learning patterns of these populations, Ms. Aslanian has helped more than 250 colleges and universities improve and enhance how they serve post-traditional students.
Aslanian Market Research Insights Into Online Learning*
In my experience, many students worry--unnecessarily--that they won’t be able to interact effectively with their classmates when they study online.
Aslanian Market Research Founder Carol B. Aslanian is Senior Vice President of Market Research and Advisory Services at EducationDynamics, the parent company of eLearners.com.
A leading national authority on the characteristics and learning patterns of adult students, Ms. Aslanian is a renowned source of strategic, research-driven decision-making for postsecondary institutions throughout America.
Ms. Aslanian’s trailblazing career has yielded unprecedented insight into the social evolution of the adult learner and the technological transformations driving the rapid rise of online learning in higher education. With more than 25 years of experience and more than 300 post-secondary market analysis studies, she provides a wealth of proprietary research, best-in-class market and student intelligence, and authoritative guidance to higher education institutions.
A sought-after speaker at higher education conferences and seminars, Ms. Aslanian has made hundreds of presentations to educational institutions, state agencies, and national associations. With her deep background in market research studies, institution audits and marketing reviews, she has helped a wide variety of colleges and universities better serve adult students and adapt to the seismic shifts in student demands and demographics.
“Colleges must have the hard data on what adults want to learn, where, when or how in order to grow their enrollments in a highly competitive marketplace.”
A renowned expert in the growth of higher education solutions for place-bound and time-bound students, Ms. Aslanian has been at the forefront of helping colleges and universities scout new locations, establish more flexible scheduling, and explore online education options. Many of her pivotal research studies are designed to help colleges expand their share of the adult student market and allocate the resources needed to serve this increasingly robust source of high-quality enrollments. In addition, through her onsite visits and consultations she offers in-depth analysis to troubleshoot the challenges and capitalize on the opportunities facing colleges and area employers in today’s rapidly changing educational landscape.
Ms. Aslanian’s groundbreaking work has extended beyond colleges and universities to state education agencies, regional college consortia, multi-institutional centers and chambers of commerce, for which she has helped develop programs that meet the needs of working professional adult students and the businesses and industries that employ them.
Most recently, Ms. Aslanian has begun to focus her work on the “post-industrial student market”…on those students who do not study, full-time, during the day and live near or on campus… a population which now makes up less than 20% of the higher education market. Colleges that seek to grow and thrive now and in the decades ahead must focus their attention and resources on this new majority in higher education.
Ms. Aslanian is the co-author of numerous seminal studies, including Americans in Transition: Life Changes as Reasons for Adult Learning, How Americans in Transition Study for College Credit, and Higher Education in Partnership with Industry. Published by the College Board, Adult Students Today, her national study on adult students, was followed by Trends in Adult Learning – A Snapshot, and Hindsight, Foresight, Insight: Understanding Adult Learning Trends to Predict Future Opportunities.
Ms. Aslanian holds degrees from Cornell University and Harvard University.
More from Carol
Did you know only 15% of college students today are "traditional?" Don't know if you're part of the other 85%? Watch this video to learn more about this growing student population.
Did you Know?
15% of college students today are "traditional?" Don't know if you're part of the other 85%? Watch this video to learn more about this growing student population from Carol Aslanian..
Online Learning Experience vs Traditional Classroom Experience
Ms. Aslanian discusses some of the finer points of the different learning experiences, including interaction, transfer credits, and flexibility.
Primary Motivations for Enrolling Online
What drives someone to enroll in an online degree program? Is it their employment status or a desire to stay up-to-date? Ms. Aslanian highlights these questions and more.
Influential Women in Higher Education
Some high-powered women are challenging the status quo with bold innovations and policy changes to help schools succeed.