0 Sponsored Online Programs Available
All About an Online Associates Degree in Theology
For people who want to dig deeper into the big questions of human existence, an online associates degree in theology could be a perfect way to get started. Are you fascinated by religion and the Bible? Do you want to tackle issues of ethics, morality, history, literature and philosophy? This degree may be an ideal choice for you to pursue.
Common Coursework for an Online Associates Degree in Theology Program
An online associates degree in theology is typically designed to give you a broad range of educational opportunities while allowing you to set your own schedule. It may be ideal for busy people with families and work commitments. Within the framework of your online degree program, you may study some or all of these topics:[i]
- Introduction to Theology
- Introduction to Philosophy
- Church History
- Christian Thought
- Systematic Theology
- Old Testament
- New Testament
An online associates degree in theology may also include electives in areas such as pastoral counseling and contemporary ethics. Students without a strong background in writing might need to take an online general studies course in English composition.
Skills and Qualities for those who work in Theology
Studying theology takes a number of complex skills. Well-rounded theology students should try to develop all of these characteristics that may be characteristic of those in the field of directors, religious activities and education[ii]:
- Speaking— Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension — Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking— Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving — Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Instructing — Teaching others how to do something.
- Active Learning — Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Judgment and Decision Making— Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Learning Strategies — Selecting and using training / instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
Online theology programs often include skill building tools for people who may feel less progressed in some of these areas.
What Industries May Employ People Who Earn an Associates Degree in Theology?
An associates degree in theology could help students pursue entry level career paths in a number of areas. These higher degrees may be capable of presenting a more diverse array of job options.This degree could be an exciting choice for people who would like to consider pursuing a career in ministry. It can be the stepping stone to a number of fascinating jobs or the first stage in a longer process of higher education. Earning an online degree could be an important initial step in your chosen career path.
[i] catalog.apu.edu/undergraduate/school-theology/theology/theology-major/ [ii] onetonline.org/link/summary/21-2021.00