All About an Online Environmental Policy Degree
If you care about the environment and want to be involved in its preservation, earning an online environmental policy degree may help you pursue a career that fulfills your personal passions as well as your professional goals. In your degree program, you may get the chance to learn about the current state of the environment and how to make significant improvements. Whether you want to pursue a career on the local or international scale, earning a degree in environmental policy may help you reach for your dreams.
What Abilities and Skills Should I Possess for an Environmental Policy Degree?
Pursuing an environmental career may take a unique set of capabilities. Some skills that may help you be effective in this niche might be:
- Inductive Reasoning — The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events) [i].
- Problem Sensitivity — The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.[ii]
- Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times. [iii]
- Complex Problem Solving — Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.[iv]
- Inductive Reasoning — The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).[v]
Typical Coursework for an Online Environmental Policy Degree
The exact coursework requirements for your online environmental policy degree may vary depending on your educational institution of choice as well as any focus areas you may choose. However, you may encounter these or similar courses:
- Economics and accounting: Courses focus on effective accounting and economic practices as well as the structure of the financial market. Students may also learn the basics of analysis [vi].
- Law and government: Coursework that may help develop the scholar’s knowledge of court procedures, executive orders, legal codes and the democratic political process.[vii]
- Engineering and technology: Scholars might have an opportunity to develop the foundations for the practical application of related engineering process and technology.[viii]
- Geography: Students could be exposed to the jargon that may be necessary to effectively communicate knowledge related to landmasses and designated physical areas. Students may also focus on the relationships between plants, animals and humans.[ix]
- Administration and management: Students might have an opportunity to learn the principles of effective resources allocation, leadership, production techniques, strategic planning and coordinating people and resources.[x]
What Career Paths May People Who Earn an Online Environmental Policy Degree Pursue?
After earning your degree, you may be prepared to pursue a wide variety of positions, such as:
- Environmental Economists conduct research, write scholarly articles and collect data related to the costs and management of environmental impact.[xi]
- Climate Change Analysts make recommendations regarding environmentally minded legislation. Additionally, they research and analyze the effectiveness of various policy proposals as well as existing guidelines. [xii]
- Environmental Conservationists research the rate of environmental decline and coordinate procedures for effective control and minimization of negative environmental impact.[xiii]
- Environmental Restoration Planners collaborate with field staff to design, develop and implement restoration projects in areas in need. Afterwards, these professionals may oversee or monitor progress.[xiv]
Once you have earned your degree, you may choose to pursue a higher-level degree in the same or similar field. Conversely, you may choose to pursue a career. Regardless, a degree in environmental policy may be just what you need to help you pursue the professional career you’ve always wanted.
[i] onetonline.org/link/summary/19-2041.02 | [ii] onetonline.org/link/summary/19-1031.01 | [iii] onetonline.org/link/summary/17-2081.00 | [iv] onetonline.org/link/summary/19-2041.01 | [v] onetonline.org/link/summary/19-3011.01 | [vi] onetonline.org/link/summary/19-3011.01 | [vii] onetonline.org/link/summary/19-2041.01 | [viii] onetonline.org/link/summary/17-2081.00 | [ix] onetonline.org/link/summary/19-1031.01 | [x] onetonline.org/link/summary/19-2041.02 | [xi] onetonline.org/link/summary/19-3011.01 | [xii] onetonline.org/link/summary/19-2041.01 | [xiii] onetonline.org/link/summary/19-1031.01 [ix] onetonline.org/link/summary/19-2041.02
Narrow your Search: