8 Sponsored Online Programs Available
Mechanical Engineering Online Degrees & Programs
Online mechanical engineering degree programs may be a convenient, best option for current professionals to build on their expertise while still pursuing the career they love, as well as for new students of engineering just getting stated. Offered at both undergraduate and graduate levels, top programs may be designed for varying levels of experience. This could range from entry-level programs at the bachelors level, to graduate programs for experienced engineers. Programs may touch on mathematics, physics, chemistry, the fundamentals of design, and even organizational skills like project management and leadership. Some programs may have limited on-campus or field experience requirements, in addition to online study.
What Is Mechanical Engineering?
Mechanical engineering is a broad subset of engineering, focused on designing, improving and maintaining mechanical systems. As such, in addition to creative thinking, it involves diverse concepts and skills from fields like physics, mathematics, materials science, and more. Broadly speaking, the top goal is to help create and maintain efficient, useful, and user-friendly technology to overcome specific challenges.
Mechanical engineers develop new technology in all different forms—from nanotechnology to large manufacturing machinery to biotechnology. As such, the specific expertise most valuable to you may vary depending on the types of things you’re most interested in working with. That means the degree programs you enroll in might best be equally diverse, focused on different skills and applications that fall under the larger mechanical engineering umbrella.
Types of Mechanical Engineering
Online mechanical engineering degree programs are likely to touch on the essentials of a variety of subdisciplines. However, it’s possible you might find programs that emphasize one or several of these over the others.
A few examples of mechanical engineering subdisciplines and other concentration areas include:
- Robotics and Mechatronics
- Structural Analysis
Online Mechanical Engineering Degree Levels
Because online mechanical engineering schools may offer both undergraduate and graduate school contexts, it’s important to evaluate your level of academic and professional experience while choosing a program. Advanced degrees might have education requirements—which could specify anything from degree level to the subject area or specific coursework—as well as professional experience prerequisites.
- Online Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering Programs: These programs may offer either Bachelor of Science (BS) or Bachelor of Engineering (BE) programs. They’re generally entry-level and may cover the fundamentals.
- Online Masters in Mechanical Engineering: These programs generally offer either a Master of Science (MS) or Master of Engineering (ME/MEng). While many are designed for students with prior education and experience, some masters programs may still be geared toward students coming from unrelated fields.
- Online Doctorate in Engineering: These programs may award either a PhD in Engineering, a Doctor of Engineering (EngD), or a Doctor of Engineering Science (Eng.Sc.D.). These are all typically research-oriented, academic, and terminal, and the differences between them may vary by school.
- Online Engineering Certificate Programs: These are usually offered at the graduate level. While some may be open to applicants with a bachelors degree, others might be designed for those who have already earned a masters. Because they require fewer courses than a degree, they often focus on a specific skill or topic within mechanical engineering.
Find Online Mechanical Engineering Degree Programs
Search for online mechanical engineering degree programs with eLearners.com! Narrow your options by selecting your preferred program level using the menu or the links in the previous section. Click on the name of a program you’re interested in, or the “Request Info” button beside it, to find out more, get in touch, and apply!
Narrow your Search: