10 Sponsored Online Programs Available
Online Bachelors of Liberal Arts
A bachelors of liberal arts online allows students to pursue an extensive array of subjects, which may provide you with a well-rounded education and possibly prepare you to handle better the daily demands of work and life. The curriculum is intended to offer a balanced liberal arts education, while allowing you to direct your focus in areas such as Economics, Gender Studies, Art History, Legal Studies, English, Psychology, Political Science, and History[i]. This online bachelor of liberal studies may help equip students to handle situations requiring an understanding of the psychological, historical, and sociological issues afflicting today's society.
Typical Coursework for a Bachelors of Liberal Studies Online
Online programs for a bachelors of liberal arts offer a range of courses. The typical classes for a bachelors in liberal studies may include all or some of the following options:[xix]
- Arts Management
- Women’s and Gender Studies
- Critical and Creative Thinking
- General Studies
- Political Science
- Health Sciences
- Liberal Arts
You may be wondering if online learning is for you. Read our Tips on Online versus Traditional Learning and find out!
How Long Is the Program?
Online programs for a bachelors of liberal arts typically take about four years of full-time study to complete on a traditional cycle. However there are a number of things a student can look into in order to change the pace of a program.
First, there are self-paced courses. This means you study when it is most convenient to you. We know you probably have a job or a family—maybe you are a working mom—and you have a hectic schedule already! If this sounds like your life you'll know how necessary it is to find the time to fit your studies in. For more about self pacing, read this article.
Second, you can study in an accelerated program. Accelerated programs speed you through the process of earning your degrees by offering courses that count for both a bachelors and a masters program. Here's some more information about accelerated programs.
Skills and Abilities You Need
It takes unique skills and abilities to work in politics, a busy office environment, or with people needing assistance. Some characteristics to focus on developing may include:
- Speaking — Conveying information effectively to others[v][vi][vii]
- Critical Thinking — Using reasoning and logic to identify the strengths and weaknesses of approaches to problems, conclusions, or alternative solutions[viii]
- Oral Expression — The ability to communicate ideas and information when speaking so others may understand
- Social Perceptiveness — Awareness of others' reactions and reasons for acting as they do[xiii]
- Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people say, taking the time to comprehend the points they are making, asking appropriate questions, and avoiding inappropriate interruptions[xiii][xiv][xv]
What Do People Do After Earning a Bachelors of Liberal Arts?
Earning a bachelor of liberal arts might be the solution to pursuing a range of exciting careers in a variety of diverse studies. Students may pursue entry into a wide variety of career paths in business, government, and social services.
- Training and Development Managers coordinate, direct, and plan programs to heighten the skills and knowledge of a company's employees. They also manage the training and development specialists.[ii]
- Public Relations Specialists, also called Media and Communications Specialists, manage an organization’s strategies for public communication. In government, public relations specialists are known as press secretaries. In this environment, they inform the public of activities of government agencies and officials.[iii]
- Social and Community Service Managers are employed by various human and social service organizations. Some focus on serving a particular demographic, including older adults, the homeless, veterans, or children. Other groups concentrate on supporting individuals with distinct challenges, such as long-term unemployment, mental health needs, or chronic hunger.[iv]
Salary with a Bachelors of Liberal Arts Online
In any field, salaries are influenced by a variety of factors, including the employer, experience, and education. The following salaries are median annual averages for the year 2014 as reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. They are intended to present a potential earnings and projected job growth overview for business, government, and social services workers.
- Training and Development Managers: $57,920 (7% growth 2014 through 2024)[xvi]
- Public Relations Specialists: $55,680 (6% growth 2014 through 2024)[xvii]
- Social and Community Service Managers: $38,260 (10% growth 2014 through 2024)[xviii]
All of these career paths may give graduates the opportunity to enhance their career where they are employed or to pursue a career elsewhere. A bachelors of liberal arts may also be used to help prepare for graduate studies in history, communication, sociology, psychology, and law. Whether you’re interested in developing a career in politics, managing an office, or assisting people in need, an online bachelor of liberal studies may help you fulfill those goals.
Step Into a New Career
Why not take the plunge and earn a Bachelors of Liberal Arts Online degree? We have plenty of options you can choose from right here. Select a program name for more information and to learn about the features of that school.
[i] continuinged.uml.edu/degrees/bladegree.cfm | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/management/training-and-development-managers.htm#tab-2 | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/media-and-communication/public-relations-specialists.htm#tab-2 | [iv].bls.gov/ooh/management/social-and-community-service-managers.htm#tab-2 | [v] onetonline.org/link/summary/11-3131.00 | [vi] onetonline.org/link/summary/27-3031.00 | [vii]onetonline.org/link/summary/11-9151.00 | [viii] onetonline.org/link/summary/11-9151.00 | [ix] onetonline.org/link/summary/11-3131.00 | [x] onetonline.org/link/summary/27-3031.00 | [xi] onetonline.org/link/summary/11-9151.00