Are you considering joining the Military? Do you have existing military student loans or debt? If so, you may want to look into the Loan Repayment Plans (LRPs) offered by select branches of the military. Currently, the Army, Navy and Air Force offer LRPs to help lessen the burden of student loan debt for first-time enlistees who meet certain eligibility requirements.
If you’re interested in LRPs, take a look at the brief summaries and eligibility requirements for the three military branches below.
Army Loan Repayment Program (LRP)
The Loan Repayment Program (LRP) is an incentive plan in which the Army may repay a part of qualifying student loans for eligible Army applicants.
After one year of service – if you qualify – the Army may pay 33 1/3 percent of the outstanding principle balance of your student loans annually or $1,500 (whichever is greater) up to $65,000. Loans cannot be in default before you enter active duty, or during the repayment period.
- Decline enrollment in Montgomery GI Bill® in writing (DD Form 2366)
- Have LRP guaranteed in writing in enlistment contract (DA Form 3286-66)
- Be a non-prior service accession
- Have a high school diploma and score 50 or higher on armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB)
- Enlist in one of the qualifying critical military occupational specialties (MOS)
- Have loans that meet certain criteria
For more information on current eligibility requirements and qualifying loans visit: myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Home/Benefit_Library/Federal_Benefits_Page/College_Loan_Repayment_Program_%28LRP%29.html?serv=147
Navy Loan Repayment Program
The Navy’s Loan Repayment Program was created to provide up to $65,000 of student loan repayment to qualified enlisted servicemembers serving in eligible Navy programs.
- Only first-time enlistees (without a college degree) are eligible for LRP
- Participants must sign up for the program when signing their enlistment contract
- Your student loan must not be in default
For more information on Navy education benefits, visit: navy.com/joining/education-opportunities/undergraduate.html
Air Force College Loan Repayment Plan (CLRP)
The College Loan Repayment Program was designed to aid qualified recruits who have taken some college courses and accrued student loan debt. Under CRLP, eligible persons may be entitled to up to $10,000 in student loan repayment.
- This must be your first time enlisting in the Air Force
- You must enroll in CLRP when signing your enlistment contract
For more information on Air Force education benefits, visit: airforce.com/benefits/enlisted-education/ (under the Money for School tab)