5 Sponsored Online Programs Available
Online Bachelors Degree in Video Game Design
Pursuing a Bachelors in Video Game Design Online could turn your passion for video games into more than just a hobby. And video games just continue to increase in popularity.
A Bachelors in Video Game Design Online focuses on the essentials of how to create video games, including everything from animation to programming. Online classes in game design are also available, which means earning your bachelors degree could be more convenient to fit into your life than ever.
Basics of a Bachelors in Video Game Design Online
While pursuing a video game design degree, courses will cover what it takes to develop and produce video games from creation to distribution. This may include the basics of designing, programming, animation, and project management. In fact, by the time you’ve earned your degree, the goal is to have all the skills and knowledge necessary to build an entire video game from the ground up.
Different programs and classes focus on different aspects of game design such as the technological stuff like programming and animation. Others take on the business side of the industry, with subjects like project management or how to give a sales pitch for your latest idea for a new game. Your focus may be to keep up with the latest trends and innovations if you’re pursuing technology-based learning, since you’ll evaluate game play mechanics against industry-standard testing techniques during all phases of game development.
A Variety of Program Names
Each college names their video game design degree program differently. Many schools call their bachelors degree “Video Game Design”, but others have chosen a wide variety of names. The names of some game design programs, some Bachelors in Video Game Design Online programs, that are out there include:
- Information Technologies Game Design: teaches the tech skills necessary to pursue a career in game design. Topics might include interactive game development, digital imaging and 3D graphics, or classes in programming languages like C++ or Java.
- Game Software Development or Game Development: focuses on software engineering and programming for game design, from development to game modeling and animation.
- Game and Simulation Programming: about developing skills in game and simulation design to identify what is and isn’t working in running the game program.
- Computer-Aided Drafting and Design: focuses on teaching the software skills of Computer-Aided Drafting and Design, or CAD, as related to game design drafting by hand. Students might learn to use game development software such as Maya, Mudbox or Stingray.
So when researching Bachelors in Video Game Design Online programs offered by schools, find the one that suits your individual goals. For example, some programs may have a more artistic focus where you’ll work on developing characters through 3D art and making them lifelike. Others may spend more time on prototyping and user testing. Choosing a program that focuses on your interests can keep you more engaged with your classes and homework.
Classes in Video Game Design
Though definitely not required, many students who choose to pursue Online Bachelors Degree Programs in Video Game Design have found a background or interest in any of the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) disciplines helpful,i because video game design students use technology every day. Online students use tech on a daily basis and may learn how to communicate effectively with faculty and other students, which is a good real-world skill.
While pursuing your online video game degree, you may develop other everyday skills and general knowledge related to:
- Complex Problem-Solving
- Systems Analysis
- Team Coordination
Coursework is designed to help you understand the many stages involved in video game design. Common courses in Online Bachelors Degree Programs in Video Game Design may include:
- Scripting for Games: This course focuses on user interaction with the AI.
- Design of Virtual Games Environments: This core topic touches on game theory, as well as the basics of interactive design and human-computer interactions.
- Graphics Game Engine: Students get an introduction to advanced graphics topics including skeletal animation, ray tracing, lighting, shaders, and materials.
- Interactive Animation: This hands on course provides students with an opportunity to create a number of different projects focusing on creativity and programming aspects.
- Introduction to Digital Imaging: This course focuses on the differences between vector and bitmap graphics, as well as teaching students layers, filtering, and channel masking.
- Digital Game Development: Students have an opportunity to learn a fundamental understanding of the Windows API, the use of sprites, animation, and audio in an integrated game environment.
- Artificial Intelligence: This course explores the contemporary tools and principles of artificial intelligence that focus on web commerce applications and business intelligence. Students may also learn how AI can help create the games of the future.
- Computer Science: Students may learn how to write programs in such areas as image processing, text processing, and games.
- Programming: This course teaches students an understanding of the role computation can play in solving problems. It also helps students feel confident in their ability to write programs.
- 3-D Modeling and Animation: Students may be introduced to 3DS max and will be provided an overview of what max does specifically for games. Students will also learn the basics of modeling low poly and high poly models.
Why Choose to Pursue Online Bachelors Degree Programs in Video Games Design?
If you decide to pursue your bachelors degree in video game design, you may find that an online program is the perfect solution for you. While earning your degree, you can work on developing the skills and knowledge that drew you to video game design in the first place.
Technology plays an important role in video game design, especially computers and programming. Therefore, attending classes, learning effective online communication, and using computer programs may help develop the technical skills many employers look for when hiring video game designers.ii
You’ll also have the convenience of taking classes that work around your busy schedule. Online degree programs make it much easier to balance schoolwork, your job, and personal responsibilities.
After You Earn Your Online Bachelors Degree in Video Game Design
Revenue generated from console video games is expected to increase 4.5% for 2016 over 2015. While revenue generated from mobile video games is expected to increase 23% for the same time frame.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, that will translate to a growth in employment for Multimedia Artists and Animators. Specifically, for the years 2014 to 2024, the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics expects an increase of 6% in employment.iii
However, video game designers face a competitive market. Pursing your video game design degree online may enhance your career options. While earning your degree, you should try to focus on developing a strong portfolio and the variety of technical skills that potential employers seek.ii
The highest grossing game of all time is actually World of WarCraft bringing in a whopping $10 billion over its lifetime.
Earning Your Online Bachelors Degree in Video Game Design
If you’re creative, artistic, and just love playing video games, earning your video game design degree online may be the perfect option for you. Online learning may help you develop the technical skills many people in this field use every day. By using technology to communicate with classmates, professors, and peers, you may also learn the teamwork and coordination skills you need as a video game designer. i
Next Step to Pursuing Your Online Game Design Degree
eLearners.com has information on several different types of Online Bachelors Degree Programs in Video Game Design you might be interested in. Learn more about individual schools and their online game design programs by clicking on any of our sponsored listings on this page.
You might see degree programs available for subjects like:
- Online Master of Science in Mobile Gaming
- Online Bachelor of Science in Game Art
- Online Bachelor of Science in Game Design
Get more information and make an educated decision about pursuing a career as a video game creator!
[i] onetonline.org/link/summary/15-1199.11?redir=15-1099.13 [ii] bls.gov/ooh/arts-and-design/multimedia-artists-and-animators.htm#tab-4 [iii] bls.gov/ooh/arts-and-design/multimedia-artists-and-animators.htm#tab-6
Narrow your Search: